Peer Insight is looking for a Design Strategist that is passionate about bringing their diverse skills to designing, testing & launching new businesses.
We are seeking a full-time hire, but open to a full-time contract with the right candidate. We are targeting an early February start date but are flexible.
WHO WE ARE
Peer Insight & PX Venture Studio is a full-stack, full-service business-builder. Since 2012, we have built 12 multimillion dollar businesses in partnership with large, established organizations. We have worked on 40+ innovation projects – from upstream discovery research and needs-finding, to downstream pilot execution.
Our core ingredients, and what our team gets excited about each day, is an awesome blend of entrepreneurship, corporate innovation, growth strategy, human-centered design (HCD) , prototyping, and in-market experimentation. Our firm offers you the chance to build multiple start-ups in an incubator environment with an incredible team.
Our team comes from different backgrounds, but we are united by our mission and our guiding principles. Each project or venture team is led by a partner, an engagement lead, and a research lead. The design strategist is a hands-on execution role that will support both the engagement lead and the research lead by running in-market experiments and distilling insights for clients. Collaboration is key to this role – with the market, with colleagues and with client-partners.
Note: there is no relocation required for this role, but in addition to the above, it’s ideal if regular travel is easily accomplished (e.g. you have reasonable access to an airport).
WHAT YOU’LL DO
At each stage of the venture lifecycle, and across various industries, you’ll:
- Design and conduct customer & stakeholder research using a variety of research techniques that includes human centered design (HCD), tech and strategy approaches to gather the data needed to validate or invalidate the assumptions being tested at that stage.
- Gather market and subject matter expert data to provide context and learning for the new ventures – quickly getting up to speed on key trends and challenges and sharing implications with the project teams
- Support and collaborate with the engagement lead and research lead on projects
- Brainstorm and ideate concepts, value propositions and MVPs alongside client teams in workshops based off the research collected
- Prototype and co-create low-fi and med-fi products with customers
- Synthesize, visualize and consider the “so what” and “what’s next” from those research insights in an easily understandable manner
- Facilitate discussion and narrowing in interactive working sessions with client teams
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Demonstrable experience designing and conducting ethnographic/HCD-based research across all stages of the venture lifecycle, particularly in early stage in-market experimentation
- The ability to organize, interpret, distill and present data findings in a consulting or corporate environment, or the equivalent education and experience
- Firm grasp of how research guides and inspires the innovation process (with a specific interest in improving and designing new experiences)
- Experience in the interweaving of entrepreneurship, corporate innovation, growth strategy, HCD, prototyping, and in-market experimentation
- A collaborative, “Yes And” attitude with a wide variety of creative and analytical professionals
- Strong self-management and a growth mindset that is willing to take on new challenges, experiment, and contribute to our core business and new ventures
- Ability to navigate between the worlds of entrepreneurship, experience design and business
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability and willingness to work with remote teams, and travel as needed for research and/or collaboration purposes
We strive to recruit a group of unique individuals, but our team members tend to share these attributes:
Curiosity | Perceptiveness | Optimism | Adaptiveness | Entrepreneurialism | Discernment
WHAT WE PROVIDE
Remote Work & Distributed Teams
We prioritize flexibility and allow employees to “work from anywhere.”
Our team is grounded in gratitude and our Guiding Principles. It informs our work and how we engage with clients every day.
Autonomy & Shared Ownership
We believe that everyone does their best work when given clear expectations and room to create with their unique skills. Our work requires a balance of individual or solo work and small-team collaboration with exceptional peers and partners. Being generous collaborators, and co-owners in design and decision-making is key to success in our world – no knowledge hoarding here, we’re better together.
Professional Development & Mentorship
We support everyone at the firm with a dedicated mentor and a professional development stipend to pursue areas of interest and upskill throughout the year.
We strongly believe in the development of our teammates, so we provide an annual budget to spend on a learning activity of your choice (e.g., buy books, attend conferences, enroll in online courses, finance a pro-bono consulting trip, and more!). You will instantly feel at home when you come into work (virtually or IRL!) – we thrive on radical transparency, the power of small teams, experimentation, assuming positive intent & collaboration.
For our full-time positions, our benefits package includes covering the entire premium (plus partial coverage for dependents) of an excellent PPO health care plan, including vision and dental, a 401(k) retirement savings plan with firm matching, short and long term disability coverage and a monthly stipend for your commute & cell phone. Ensuring we have space to nurture our whole selves, we give every employee paid annual vacation days, unlimited sick days, personal days, and federal holidays.
The annual base salary range for our Design Strategist is $70,000 – $95,000 with eligibility for a profit-share bonus of 0-20% of base based on individual and firm performance.
HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application, including resume and email address through this link.
Peer Insight is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law.