Peer Insight is looking for a passionate and motivated User Researcher to join us in the new business building work we do. Our firm’s mission is to serve the growth ambitions of established organizations and their (current and/or future) stakeholders with new value-generating products and services beyond their core businesses. This is all about getting into the market to experiment, iterate, and validate solutions to real customer problems.
WHO WE ARE
eer Insight is a business-builder. Since 2012, we have collaborated on more than 75 innovation projects with Global 2000 companies and not-for-profits. In the process, we have been part of launching more than a dozen multimillion dollar businesses. Our core ingredients, and what gets our team excited each day, are a powerful blend of entrepreneurship, corporate innovation, and human-centered design (HCD). Our firm offers the chance to work on multiple corporate- sponsored start-ups in an incubator environment with an incredible team. Our team comes from different backgrounds, but we are united by our mission and our Guiding Principles. We thrive on radical transparency, embrace the power of small teams, practice rigorous experimentation, and assume positive intent and generous collaboration.
Each project is staffed with one of our Partners, a Venture Lead, and two or more User Researchers and Product Strategists, with additional support from the broader team. This is a hands-on role, where you will roll up your sleeves and practice deep collaboration – in the market, with users, with colleagues and with client-partners.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Design and execute primary and secondary research – identifying and prioritizing assumptions and defining a path to test them through user research and in-market experimentation
- Support and/or drive the early development of a new solution – identifying target users, defining key features, designing business models, managing prototype builds, and crafting go-to-market strategies
- Contribute to a practical plan for de-risking an opportunity – helping discern how best to deploy the limited resources (team and budget) available and then iterating that plan as we learn more from the market
- Ruthlessly prioritize and iterate (approach and/or solution) based on feedback from users
- Support communicating to key stakeholders in the process of venture building – conceptualize and oversee the delivery of assets and artifacts that bring a diverse group of stakeholders along for continued investment decisions
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- 4+ years relevant experience across a combination of the following areas:
- research and human-centered design
- innovation/design consulting
- product strategy or product design / early prototyping
- corporate innovation strategy
- Well-versed in applying human-centered design principles to the research, development, and execution of new products and services
- Experience with activating and contributing to teams in dynamic (virtual and live) environments
- Comfort and courage with navigating the unknown through rigorous testing and iteration – we like to say, “You don’t know, but you know how to know”
- Ability to handle complexity – weighing a variety of competing factors to make sound decisions with imperfect and/or incomplete data
- We strive to recruit a group of unique individuals, but our team members tend to share these attributes: Curiosity | Perceptiveness | Optimism | Courage | Entrepreneurialism | Discernment | Humility
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- You lead with genuine empathy – it’s not your ideas that drive you, it’s their problems
- You inspire people to work with you – you’re a top-notch collaborator
- You have a strong sense of ownership – you’re willing to do whatever it takes to serve the mission, the team and the customer
- You are focused on results and appreciate the entrepreneurial constraints of limited resources
- You respond well to complex situations, working with customers and partners to solve problems
- You move quickly and have the confidence to act decisively when needed
- You know what to measure, when, and how to communicate success/learnings to others who have not been in the trenches with you
- You have the ability to work with remote teams
- You appreciate the power of a diverse organization and contribute to the culture of co-creating impactful solutions
- You know that these problems require teams to solve them – there is no one right answer, and one brilliant brain is not enough to solve any of the problems we work on
HOW YOU’LL GROW
We’ve found new members of our team grow quickly because of the varied and complex challenges we solve together. You’ll hone your problem solving toolkit by applying it across industries and within every phase of the innovation cycle – from opportunity discovery to needs finding, through product design, iteration and in-market pilot tests. We want every team member to grow at the pace that is comfortable to them, and as such the firm tends to promote on the spot as we observe individuals contributing at a higher level, rather than waiting for a development cycle to come back around. A researcher can grow from being an outstanding contributor, to being a leader of a project/venture, to owning greater client responsibility and/or internal responsibility. Every role at Peer Insight is hands-on and in contact with the work – even our partners are deeply embedded into project delivery – which allows us to be inspired by and to learn from one another each and every day.
The annual base salary range for the User Researcher position is $90,000 – $120,000 with eligibility for a profit-share bonus of up to 30% of base based on individual and firm performance.
Note: We are a fully distributed team, so no relocation is required for this role, but it’s ideal if regular travel is easily accomplished (e.g. you have reasonable access to an airport). Expect to travel about once every month, though this will vary by project and based on firm events.
HOW TO APPLY
Peer Insight is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other basis forbidden under federal, state, or local law.